Do you enjoy barbecuing? What kind of grill are you using now? Do you want a new type of grill that is versatile and can handle a lot of food? While it seems that the most popular type of grill is usually fueled by gas or charcoal, there are a lot of options these days that may be cost efficient and still provide an authentic barbecue experience. One of these grill options is a pellet grill.
Pellet grills come in all shapes and sizes and they are mainly used to cook meat in a variety of ways. They are known for their extreme versatility—how they can adapt to a lot of different ways of cooking. The trickiest part about finding a great pellet grill is that there are so many on the market right now.
We have decided to do a comparison today of two distinct pellet grills on the market. One is known for being a lot more concise and compact, while the other may be the sturdiest one available right now. It is our hope that by comparing these two models, we can help you narrow your search.
Traeger TFB30LZB Tailgater 20 Series Freestanding Grill: Pellet Grill Comparison
The first pellet grill up for review is the Traeger TFB30LZB Tailgater 20 Series Freestanding Grill.
- Comes with a standard size grilling area of around 300 square inches
- Comes with a fantastic digital elite controller that allows you to have full control over the temperature inside
- Elite controller has a full LED display to let you know the temperature, and also keep track of the cooking process
- Heat up using 100% pellets made out of hardwood
- In order to easily start it, this comes with an auto-start ignition electronic button to get it started right away
- Concise and compact
- Comes with EZ-Fold legs, so you can easily fold it up and store it
- Concise and compact
- Good space for a small object
- Easy to fold legs, can fold flat
- Affordable price
- Digital input temperature
- Not the most advanced pellet grill
- Needs to be watched a bit too much
- Poor instructions
Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill
The second pellet grill up for review is the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill.
- Has been created with smart smoking technology
- Allows you to set the temperature you want into the digital temperature control
- This grill allows you to use it without any babysitting, and you can just set the temperature and forget about it
- Able to grill, smoke, bake, roast and braise your food (meat and veggies) and change your style whenever you want
- You can cook from 160° up to 500°
- 570 square inches of cooking area, which is more than enough to load up the grill
- There is also an upper warming rack that is perfect for toasting buns or slowly cooking an item
- This rack is also removable, so if you want the most amount of space possible you can have it
- Camp Chef-patented ash cleanout makes it so easy to get the ash out of the grill by simply pulling a lever to the ash cleanout system
- Comes with a sear box that can actually reach temperatures up to 900° Fahrenheit, allowing the crispiest meat that you can ask for
- Unbelievable craftsmanship
- A lot of space to cook on
- Very versatile
- Easy to clean with ash cleanout
- Large cooking area
- Searing box included
Ash tray cleanout has trouble in the cold
So even though the first product, the Traeger TFB30LZB Tailgater 20 Series Freestanding Grill, may be the most concise and compact, although it is still a great product, we did find it to be not as good as the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill.
The main reason is that even though it is more affordable, it does not have enough cooking space. If you will only be cooking for one or two people, and will never be entertaining, the Traeger will do just fine. But if you are cooking for the family, or are entertaining friends, the grill might come up short on cooking space.
We believe the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill is the true champion when we do pellet grill comparison. Even though it is much larger, and more expensive, it has the most amount of cooking space and more-advanced technology. It is easier to clean and even comes with a sear box to sear your meat. We wish you the best in your purchase!